Anthony H. BROCK
Rank: Patrolman
End of Watch: January 03, 1937
Tour of Duty 9 Years
Assignment: Precinct 4
Age: 41
Shield Number 860

Anthony Brock was attempting to arrest a man on a warrant in the upper apartment of a house on Cypress St. off Michigan. The suspect was hiding behind a door and shot him when he entered. The
suspect jumped from the second floor window and escaped to the harbor front where he caught a ship to Cleveland. Cleveland police were notified and caught the suspect when he got off the boat.

Anthony Brock had received his appointment to the Buffalo Police Department on August 3, 1928. His first and only assignment was to Pct. 4.

On June 15, 1936 Ptl. Brock was working the overnight shift. While making his rounds on his foot post the officer had been in contact with the station house several times during the night. During the course of their shift it was customary for patrolmen to use call boxes to report to the precinct. Shortly after 3:00am, June 16 Ptl. Brock had checked in with the Sergeant of the Sycamore Street station. Brock was scheduled to report to the station at 4:00am for his lunch.

Just before 4:00am three me who were returning home from work drove onto Bennet Street (near William Street). Albert Hardaway, the driver of the vehicle noticed something laying in the street but barely moving. The three men were horrified when they realized that not only was it a person that was in the street but it was a badly injured police officer. Ptl. Brock, who was severely injured was making a desperate attempt to gain his footing. As they approached, Hardaway and the others could see that Brock was bleeding severely from his head. As they went to his aid the men could hear the injured officer mumbling and repeating the word "nightstick"

Along with George Burkeholder and Harold Hines, Hardaway placed Brock in his vehicle and drove directly to the Sycamore station. There, the other officers had difficulty identifying the injured patrolman. With his clothes badly ripped and torn, and his face so badly bloodied it took several minutes before anyone was able to recognize Ptl. Brock.

After examination at Emergency Hospital it was determined Brock had suffered numerous injuries in addition to a fractured skull. The patrolman was never able to provide investigators with a full account of how he was injured. However, he did provide enough information that police were able to piece together the events that led to Ptl. Brock's injuries.

Apparently Ptl. Brock was on his way to Pct. 4 for lunch. While reroute to the station he came across two men, in a vehicle, he believed to be "prowlers". It is at this point police are unsure of the sequence of events. They are not sure if Brock was trying to question the men or had already placed them under arrest

He may have actually entered the suspects vehicle in order to drive them to the Sycamore Street station. Detectives are not sure if he was in the vehicle or standing alongside of it while talking to the occupants. They feel if Brock was in the vehicle the two men attacked him and threw him out of the car. They also think if he was standing next to the car the driver had started to drive away.

What they are sure of is Ptl. Brock was dragged by the vehicle nearly 100 feet. Between the possible attack and being dragged Brock had suffered serious injuries.

Shortly after he was hospitalized two men were arrested and charged with 1st Degree Assault for their role in injuring Ptl. Brock. A woman, who was alleged to have been a passenger when Brock was dragged down the street was held as a witness.

Unfortunately, after being released from the hospital Brock was unable to identify either defendant or the witness. All charges against the two were dismissed and the two men and the witness were released from custody.

Ptl. Brock spent 2 1/2 months in the hospital. After finally being released from the hospital Brock made an attempt to return to work.

His return did not last long, however. Due to an increase in symptoms suffered from his attack Brock was forced to take a sick leave of absence. As his medical difficulties increased Ptl. Brock's prospects of recovery slipped away.

On January 3, 1937 Brock was transported from his home at 331 Davidson to Sisters Hospital by ambulance. Prior to reaching the hospital Ptl. Anthony Brock had died. It was determined that in addition to the skull fracture Ptl. Brock had also suffered from acute meningitis and pneumonia.

Ptl. Anthony Brock was survived by his wife, the former Florence Fitzsimmons, and their children, Geraldine and Anthony Jr.

SOURCE: Buffalo Evening News: June 16, 1936 - front page Buffalo Courier Express: January 4, 1937 Buffalo Evening News: January 4, 1937 - pg. 14 Buffalo Times: January 4, 1937 Death Certificate: Anthony Brock